Tackling gym class woes and Common Core foes
April 09, 2013
- There is much debate astir in Ohio and across the country about the Common Core and what it means for our children and their education. This recent piece from National Review Online was co-written by Fordham’s Kathleen Porter-Magee and is a must read for anyone interested in understanding the logic and history surrounding the Common Core.
- Terry Ryan takes on the Ohio Department of Education’s manual for evaluating physical education teachers. The blog sparked debate in the pages of Ed Week (here and here) and the Washington Post, and was cited by none other than Bill Gates.
- Fordham’s Emmy Partin will be speaking Saturday, April 13 at 10:00AM at Berlin Presbyterian Church in suburban Columbus as a panelist in the Ohio School Boards Leadership Council debate on the Common Core. Other panelists will include State Board of Education member C. Todd Jones, State Representative Andrew O. Brenner, and others. Details about the event can be found here.
- In February, the Thomas B. Fordham Institute and Community Research Partners gathered with expert educational panelists in Cleveland to discuss student mobility in our schools. The discussion was taped and will air on public television next week. Tune in to your local PBS station or the Ohio Channel on one of the following dates/times: April 21 at 9AM and 5PM; April 22 at 1AM.
- Today, in front of the Statehouse, hundreds of students, parents, and educators rallied to make it clear to Ohio’s policymakers that school choice policies are worth continuing and expanding. School Choice Ohio organized the event, with schools from as far as Youngstown and Lima travelling to support school choice.
Ohio State Senator Keith Faber addressing a crowd of school choice advocates