First Bell 2-4-14
February 04, 2014
A first look at today's most important education news:
- The New York Times profiles how pre-Kindergarten is having a “moment,” with support starting to stretch across party lines.
- This week, Gallup is commencing a survey of 30,000 graduates of four-year universities in an attempt to gauge the value of a higher education. (Hechinger Report)
- PBS airs American Promise, a documentary chronicling two African American, middle-class boys’ divergent paths from Kindergarten to high-school graduation. (You can watch the film online for free until March 6.) (PBS and NPR)
- Connecticut, Mississippi, South Dakota, and Vermont are granted testing waivers, allowing them to exchange their standardized tests with PARCC or Smarter Balance field tests this spring. (Curriculum Matters)
- New research from Education Next examines three school- and teacher-evaluation approaches, concluding that growth measures ought to compare the performance of schools and teachers in similar circumstances.